"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Saturday, March 7, 2009

Often Overlooked


I have been thinking of those of you who have dealt with power outages this winter. I realized that one thing that is not a good thing to overlook in preparation in an emergency is a good can opener. You know the type...one that is not electric:)

If you don't have one be sure to get one before a crisis or outage occurs.
Jennifer

17 comments:

Susan said...

I don't own an electric can opener and haven't for years. I don't like it taking up my counter space when the hand ones work fine. I have one of the new ones that cuts the edge clean without any jagged lid.

Good tip for those who don't own one and depend on the electric one.
Susan

Humble wife said...

Susan- I have an electric one but we prefer the hand can opener. The electric one has to be taken apart to be cleaned, and is not worth the effort. With the hand can opener we can wash it with the dishes and put it away so easily in the utensil drawer.

Joy said...

Oh yes, most definitely standard equipment. Think camping when you think of functioning in a power outage and you'll have everything you need.

I never could master operating an electric can opener. I know. They're suppose to be super simple -- insert can, press lever -- but for some reason I could never get the can at the right angle to make it cut. No problem with my trusty manual can opener though. :)

Donna said...

What Susan said. I don't want all that clutter, so I've used a hand opener for years.

Humble wife said...

Joy- Trusty manual can opener!! I like that!

Donna- you and Susan are correct as I love less clutter!!

Muhd Imran said...

The best things in life is always something simple. We made ourselves live complicated lives and when things are taken for granted, loosing them unexpectedly is often a painful lesson.

Keep it simple is a good thing... essential, in fact.

Good reminder.

Humble wife said...

Muhd Imran-funny how the more money a society has the further they get from the simple life.

When we get back to basics we allow for a bit of relaxation!

Pat said...

That is the only kind I have!! LOL

Humble wife said...

Pat-well in Fl I would know that you are experienced with power outages. Hurricanes!

Dawn C said...

I have never owned an electric can opener... I never saw the need, thankfully.

Humble wife said...

Dawn C-yep, funny how the simple things are truly the best!! Thanks for stopping by.

jAne said...

I have **never** owned an electric can opener.

Humble wife said...

Lady Jane- yay!!!

~~Deby said...

I have one...and KNOW how to use it..good reminder.
Deby

Humble wife said...

Deby~yes it is a good reminder, and one that you should have BEfORe you need it!!

Simply Heart And Home said...

I've never had an electric can opener. They've always frightened me a bit. That sounds a bit odd but true!

Humble wife said...

Simply Heart and Home- not odd to me, as I progress on this simple journey!