"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
Dr. Adrian Rogers 1931-2005

Monday, March 2, 2009

Part 3: Food~Shelter~Clothing

Part 1:Preparation
Part 2: Understanding the Times

If you have not read the above two parts, please do, as it will explain why I am writing this series. When one lives a life as we do here on the farm, meeting the basic needs of food, shelter, and clothing, are important. In the times we are in, I believe that these basics will become the focus for so many as they are ill-prepared for even a few weeks of a disaster, let alone several months or years of an economic decline. I am speaking of those that we have seen blared on the evening news because of Hurricane Katrina, whining and crying that no one did anything for them. You see folks a bit of preparation could have minimized the pain and suffering. We instead blamed the Bush administration for not doing everything, and causing the hurricane.

Let me remind you of the true American spirit, it is of making do and working hard. Our ancestors walked across this land or traveled several months to settle the west. They came with little and ended up often casting items off the wagons due to stress the oxen were having. Now, we have so much junk, we do not even understand what is important and what is not. Think once again Hurricane Katrina. Do you remember the looting that went on as the water was rising?

Back to the focus of preparing for whatever happens. Some people have an emergency kit in their cars with 3 changes of clothing, MRE's for several days, and water. This is a good start in case you have to flee your home because of a wild fire or natural disaster you will be okay until you reach a preplanned place you are evacuating to. But if you are at home, you need to make sure that your food supply, clothing supply, and shelter will hold you through.

If tomorrow the Double Nickel family was not able to run to the grocery store we would go into what I refer to as ration mode, but we would have a well balanced diet, and would be fine for a good amount of time. We would also work even more diligently in the gardens, the food preservation, and then food storage. I see a portion of each day gathering and storing mesquite beans to be saved for either animals or us(ground into a flour, or used as a coffee drink). With constant prep we could go on for a long while without a grocery. We would manage the animals and gardens as if our lives depended on them. This is how folks used to do things on a family farm. Now if something happens the first thing many people do is put their hands out.

If tomorrow the Double Nickel family was not able to utilize electricity, we would adjust. The breezes flow through the house and we would convert to cooking out over a fire pit, and the grill(using mesquite wood cut up). The cooking outside would reduce all heat inside maintaining the temps. I have written about doing laundry in buckets so no power does not hold us back from being clean and looking our best. We also do not heat our home with electricity. We have ample wood, but if we had to only use what was around, we would be supplied with mesquite wood for a long time. Our water source does not need electricity either so times may be different and something that we will have to adapt to, we will not freeze to death and we will live pretty well.

If tomorrow the Double Nickel family was not able to go to the stores to add to our already abundant closets we would be fine. I have ample amount of fabric, and patterns to make things from scratch, in addition I can mend what needs to be mended. A few years ago, I would toss clothes that had a tear, but on this path, I have learned to take care of everything. I am also prepared to make clothes larger for the teens if they need extra space in the waist, bust, or length. We have much and could stretch it a long time.

So as you see the basic needs that one would need if something happens would all be met here on the farm. I have explained that my mother was this way and I learned from her and I am grateful. In times of crisis or emergency, I do not wish to have to make a plan and see if we could implement it. I do not want to learn to make bread because my family is hungry, and I do not wish to have to second guess what my environment will provide without ample time to research if things are edible. The time to prepare is now, and the in crisis you will be able to adapt quite quickly.

I must inject here that my faith as a Christian is my strength. I have been emotionally where I believed my love had died in an accident and understood that I immediately would lean on the Lord. This is where my comfort and strength come from. The Bible is filled with how the Lord prepares His people. If you do not know Him, and find the times we are in scary, please email mcbenningministries(at)yahoo(dot)com for any questions you may have. If you would like a free bible please click on the link on the right side of this blog and one will be sent to you.
Jennifer

20 comments:

laurie said...

Contrasting the early colonial and pioneer spirit with the Katrina victims is starteling. We've read aloud several little house books this year and they vibrate with a can do attitude. The government was viewed as detriment and an unnecessary interference. I tried to imagine being Almonzo Wilder's mother and letting my 19 year old go off to homestead with his brother - no cell phones to tell me he is Ok, no 911 to call when you cross an icy stream or run into Indians. Totally differnet spirit and what made this country great.

Candace said...

Hi Jennifer,
We just lost power for about 14 hours in 20 degree temps.
I realize how unprepared we are.
We are on a well that is powered by electricity. It is a deep well-400 ft, so I was told it can't be retrofitted with a hand pump. I've thought of a generator-but don't think stocking a ton of fuel is the answer.
May I ask about your water source?
I hope you don't mind me asking.

Humble wife said...

Laurie- I am a Little House Fan, as well as the Great Brain series. It is like the Little House but the main character is a boy and it is set around 1890's to 1910(written by John Fitzgerald) The spirit of America is a fleeting thought in today's times and I am saddened to think that is true, but it is.

No matter we all can make a stand and raise warriors in God's army, and by doing so they will be strong:)

Candace- that is quite a deep well. Ours is deep but we have installed a hand pump with solar. We need only to get a water tank...but we could just fill up each day.

I am sorry that you were tested but I am guessing it was an eye opener for you. I personally am not trying to rely on generators because eventually you will need fuel. As I am typing perhaps you too could get a water storage tank(of course this is only possible if you do not have covenants or such in your region).

Questions are fine, because how will one be able to learn, when we are so co-dependent on the grid? I have studied those before me, and am willing to share what works and I guess even what doesn't!

Do you have a woodstove or fireplace that can be fitted with a woodstove? The loss of power with no way to warm the family would be frightening.

Joy said...

I hear about how people are cutting back, making do, and learning basic skills and I find myself shaking my head. This is everyday life for me and my family. Nothing changes for us whether the economy is good or whether it is bad. It's a great place to be in and I wouldn't trade places with anyone.

Like you, God is my strength and my rock. In Him I trust. He has the world in His hands, knows the beginning from the end, and knows what is best for me. I refuse to worry or be concerned. I do my part, and He does His part. It's a beautiful partnership.

Humble wife said...

Joy- what a lovely way to describe the partnership! You are a wise woman indeed!!

lady jane said...

There's really nothing for me to add. You're spot-on, missy. :o)

Humble wife said...

Lady Jane! Why thank you...

lady jane said...

Oh hey, I *do* have something to add:

just checked on craigslist.com for wringer washers and found a few, all under $150. Gonna keep my one eye open for something less spendy but it's to be considered, hm? :o)

Humble wife said...

Lady Jane- I answered your question on your blog, but others may wonder. If fashion is not a concern, you can do what we have done here. We bought a mop bucket from Costco with the wringer on it. It works wonderfully and cost us about $35.00!

lady jane said...

I found one on Amazon of all places for about $28. It's a lovely chic black. Very nice. ;o)

New post up.

Candace said...

Jennifer,
Thanks for your reply.
Not sure what to do about the water. I have some 55 gallon drums to collect rain water and bought a nice purifier-so for now, I suppose it will do. I do wish I could get a hand pump though.

We have a newer home with a gas fireplace that takes the edge off, but it's more for show and actually kinda worthless.
I have been looking at woodstoves and am trying to figure where we could put one. We have a rather small house and three little ones running around!
I'd like to get one soon, before prices get out of control.
I am very interested in herbs and foraging wild edibles. I know you study herbs as well. I would love if you would share more about that.
Thank you.

Humble wife said...

Lady Jane- I need you as my personal shopper. Let us know how it works.

Candace- as with the pioneers before us, woodstove or fire heat has been around. Just as you are cautious with knives or playing in the street so will you be with the wood stove. I have seen some who have created a baby gate around the stove.

I hope not to drive you insane but perhaps you have ample room, just have a lot of show stuff? I mean confession time here, I have three china hutches. Now this place was run down, therefore a lessor price, but it is quite roomy. If I had to I would downsize with them first...

I am working on several post on herbs, and I will try and get a few up soon.

And just so you know my middle two sons I used to call the terrible duo....they are 9 months ten days apart and are a hand full. We have almost always had woodstove heat, and they are still alive if you get my drift? lol, now they are teens and are such goofy young men!

laurie said...

Haven't read the Great Brain Series - thanks for the suggestion I will check it out.

Candace - I'm thinking of you! We have a wood burning stove that we use for supplemental (or when the heat has gone off) when we had so many littles it was nerve wracking, but we set firm rules and they loved it. You can do it, it would also give me something inside to cook on in a disaster....

Humble wife said...

Laurie- even my humble library in town has the series. I have read and reread them as much as I have the Little house books!!!

Susan said...

Not only are we making as many preparations as possible but I forsee the Body of Christ truly coming together and helping each other out. What one has, the other might not, but then that one will have a need they can fill. Sort of like the old "Barter System" but more, and sharing abroad the Love of Christ.
Susan

Humble wife said...

Susan- we know that this must take place as the freedoms of Christians will go soon, as it is becoming obvious.

~~Deby said...

I have been out of town for the past 24 hours. I went to a wedding shower for my niece, I did the devotion. The thing was I think everyone there was a Christian...so I got some one on one time with ladies and would slowly lead in the subject of how fast the world is spinnng out of control etc...I stayed low keyed and shared how we are starting to PREPARE....in babysteps....these ladies are clueless....the look on their face said it all...as it is we live in a state that is earth quake prone..they are not even ready for that...AT ALL...they have great clothes nails name brand this and that...but I tell you....and I don't think all of that is bad ..BUT come on..there is a change happening....why aren't pastors preaching on this?
GOODNESS this can be frustrating...
anyway....just hugging close to the Lord and trusting..trusting..trusting yet preparing and I do believe that they go hand in hand.

The W.O.W. factor said...

This is written beautifully. We too do not worry about how to survive. We have done so before. We live on very little $$, have no material things except my computer, grow our own food and have allowed our faith to be our strengths in things that have tried to penetrate our lives. We trust in the Lord.

(just the other day, our power went out at 6am. for 8 hours...my first thought was COFFEE! I quickly stoked the fire, got my old kettle out & set it on the fire to boil.
Hence, coffee was only a few minutes away! I sat in front of the warm crackling fire, toasty cup in hand and gave my thanks in prayer.)
I find your thoughts very inspiring, glad I landed here.
Barb

Humble wife said...

Hi Barb- I am glad you visited too! Isn't it amazing how wonderful life can be, without so much pressure?Coffee...important stuff for sure, and if in a crisis people could sit back and have a cup, things would calm down, quite quickly!!

Candace said...

Hi Jennifer,
I got the OK from my husband and ordered the woodstove I have had my eye on for a whle now. We feel it is a wise investment since we live on ten wooded acres. We lose power quite often and anytime the wind starts blowing, I get really frightened of what might happen! My family kept telling me I would regret having one with the little children about, but I feel a sense of peace about it.
Thank you for your support and advice (you too,Laurie)!